Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I have some Bread edition.

So what do you do.

I can't resist bread. Delicious, soft, doughy (in-store) bakery bread.

Problem is, there's just one of me, and I don't care what a great deal the day-old bread was (65 cents), there's just no way I can eat alla that before it goes green and moldy.

But it's sure delicious. You know what else is delicious? Cinnamon rolls. I'm far too lazy during the week to find time to put the dough together and all that, and far too asleep on the weekend.

Too much bread. Not enough time. No cinnamon rolls.

Ladies and gentlemen, I can solve all three of these problems.

All you need is:

- Some butter (I used Smart Balance so my doctor [and sky-high cholesterol] won't kill me.)
- Some brown sugar
-Some - no wait, LOTS of cinnamon (don't be a cheapskate. You can buy more later.)

Oh yeah, and that bread I talked about earlier. White, cushy, tasty, mmmmm.

So put the bread in an oven pan of some sort. The type doesn't matter (well a broiling pan is probably outta the question).

Cut some slices/deep scores into the bread (see, aren't you glad you put it in the pan first?!)

Preheat the oven to 350, or if you're like me, set it to thereabouts at some point before putting stuff in the oven, or immediately thereafter.

Get a saucepan. Put the butter/sorta-butter into it and get that puppy onto a stove burner. Melt it like it's hot.

Stir in some cinnamon, and some brown sugar. As much as you think you need, in proportion to the bread. You could use cream cheese, but mine expired back in 07. Ain't no way I'm eating that.

Stir in MORE cinnamon. Seriously.

Let the mixture boil a little until everything looks rather smooth and thick. Pour that bad boy over the scored bread, making sure you get some in the nooks and crannies you so lovingly cut-hacked-whatever. Soak it.

Throw it in the oven until it looks done to you.

OMG and then eat too much of it. Leave it uncovered on the stove. With any luck, the cats won't eat it (but you never can tell with Bob, fierce feline predator and angel food cake connoisseur.)

Problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment